Sunday, March 12, 2006

culture given

madonna and cyndi lauper

michael jackson and boy george

playing with whitney in my backyard

if I'd stayed put, would the world have continued to be given to me?

last nite on vh1, 'Behind the Music'-1984. --"I remember when the question was, were you a madonna girl or a cyndi lauper girl?"--
for me it was 1985 emblazoned in very bright pink on a pink sleeveless t-shirt that I bought large so it would fit into adulthood...

and what else? Kavafy no not Cavafy his name K__? was simply bad, and there was a rhyming song about how. sung with cate hartley, this scene set
in my basement: a matress and a trapeze. an atari, shooting spaceships.
a boom box, taping parts of Kasey Kasum's countdown: Sha-ka-kan. and: oh Rock me Amadeus.
this must be a shared culture, something that mates me with 'my generation' - but is it still mine?

I was aware of Bruce Springsteen, but really for me he came later, with Nebraska, with mc.
seeing him last nite, I like him very much. I now not then.